In the last few years we (Flowers24hours.co.uk, as part of Todich Floral Design LTD) have been taking our steps to reduce our carbon emissions and to provide our customers with a greener product and service at no additional cost.
We are continuously looking to source recycled material for both customers and staff use. We are also actively communicating with our suppliers to ensure we are kept up to date with the selection of recycled and bio-degradable material. If you are a supplier and would like to contact us regarding recycled products that we could use, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org .
In the floral industry, we understand and respect that we have a responsibility to procure sustainable products as our source of passion stems straight from the earth we live on! And for this reason, we take our green policy very seriously!
Here are some of the steps we have taken in the last few years:
- Source British grown flowers where possible:
- This eliminates unnecessary transportation to and from Holland.
- Minimisation of carbon emissions
- Ensures ethical growing procedures are followed as grown under British legislation
- Recycle (with the help of our recycling partner, Aardvark Recycling):
- All organic waste is turned into compost and purchased back for potted plants. Excess is used for community projects and designing inner-city roof gardens.
- All non-organic waste
- We shred all paper waste and re-use this for packaging
- All organic waste as compost
- Broken pots and vases for draining plants kept in our studio
- Use bio-degradable and recycled products:
- Cardboard boxes
- Florist buckets
- Greeting cards
- Reduce carbon emissions and unnecessary waste
- Utilize our unique delivery software to generate the shortest route available for all deliveries
- Regular van maintenance to ensure our vehicles are in mint condition
- Use a recycling partner located in close walking distance to eliminate excess carbon emissions from transportation
- Produce 99.5% of all marketing online to reduce paper waste
- Purchase flowers from local suppliers and support the local community
- Electrical energy consumption minimized through
- Low-consumption lighting used in offices, only during working hours
- Latest generation low-power computers working only during working hours
- When practical, purchase all of the most environmentally preferable products for staff and shop requirements
- Assess the effectiveness of our environmental initiatives once every three months
- Purchase from sellers who recycle all of their unsold stock
- Consider and utilize the London Mayor’s Green Procurement Code where applicable and suitable
- Have joined Fair Flowers Fair Plants for imported flowers
We are working to:
- Generate less waste material by reviewing how supplies, materials and equipment are manufactured, purchased, packaged, delivered, used and disposed
- Continually and gradually decrease the number of imported flower purchases (which are to be imported only when absolutely necessary) and increase the proportion grown following the ETI Base Code and further ethical guidelines such as the MPS Q Certificated Fair Flowers Fair Plants.
- Continually source and improve the number of recycled products used
- Urge all suppliers with no greener alternative to actively source these products at a competitive price
- Lots of other exciting plans that we can’t quite reveal just yet!
When you order from us, you know that we have done our best to make and deliver your order in the environmentally cleanest way.
This is by no means the end of our quest. We will continue to improve with a single goal – to minimise our impact on the environment. We believe a cleaner business is a better, greener business.
31st June, 2012
Todd Z Todich